Sunday, September 11, 2011

Aysen's Introduction

Hi, my name is Aysen Muderrisoglu. I am originally from Turkey and spent 8 years of my childhood there, but I was born in Boston and have been studying in the area for the past couple of years. My first choice for a career path was medicine, but there was a class in high school that really peaked my interest in another subject. It was a Spanish class on economics where we discussed the financial and social situations of countries such as Colombia, Argentina and the United States. When I read Kidder’s book on Farmer, I found myself asking questions more about poverty than disease. The two are inevitably linked, and after taking that Spanish course, I wonder, “How can we fix this? How can we fix the global economy?” Technology certainly plays a great role in the development process; we also need a stable political system. It seems as if what has been done so far has not worked, considering the fact that 5/6ths of the world is in poverty, so that’s where my interest in design began- it’s important that we think of new ways to tackle the problem at hand. Designing models (waterways, routes, new inventions, advanced technology, etc.) to better our societies will be a great factor involved in our improvement as a global community.

No comments:

Post a Comment