Thursday, September 8, 2011

Jon's Introduction

Hello my name is Jon White. I am from Wellesley Massachusetts, a suburb of Boston. I have lived in the same place my whole life and love going to Red Sox games.

During the summer a few years ago I was part of a service to Peru with a few kids from my high school. It really did open my eyes to the vast differences that can exist between countries and even within countries. The town we stayed in the longest was called Ollantaytambo in the mountains of Peru. The year we visited was the first year that the town had ever had internet. That fact alone really did help to shake up the bubble that I had previously been enveloped in.

With the money that my group had raised we were able to help improve one of the local elementary schools. This project has since increased my curiousity and made me wonder about different approaches that we could have taken.

I hope that as a class we can develop inventions to create a cost effective and sustainable way to help impoverished countries around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment