Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Cris's Intro to T-Lab's

Hey everyone! My name is Christopher Lora; you can all call me Cris. I am from Bronx, New York but was raised in the Dominican Republic (D.R.). Didn’t grow up with much, but my family was able to move forward as most of them moved to the United States from the D.R. in search for better opportunities. By far in my family, I am the first to graduate from high school, the first to go to college, the first to speak English fluently, the first to be a computer savvy, and the first to plenty of other things.

D.R. may not be in extreme poverty such as the neighboring country of Haiti, but poverty is still a great issue, especially in the remote areas where most of my family is from. The differences I see every few years every time I go to visit my grandmother in La Vega are amazing. They may not have enough money to purchase up to date technology and luxuries, but they are all decently fed and have managed to control heavy rainfall in ways that do not destroy most of their agriculture. I find it amazing mostly due to the fact that they lack modern technology but are rich in survival skills. The role of my family in the U.S. plays in helping our family in D.R. is providing them with medical expenses and money for yearly school supplies for the children from around the village. I feel grateful that at least my family isn’t as badly affected as those in Haiti, but I wish more could be contributed to help a wider range of people, something that technology can provide.

No comments:

Post a Comment