Sunday, September 18, 2011

Chase's Introduction


Hello, my name is Chase Seegars. I was raised in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania with my twelve year old brother and seven year old sister. Living in such an urban environment, I was exposed to poverty and misfortune at an early age. While my family never suffered from such hardship, it was difficult for me to go anywhere without seeing a person in need. Any time I left my house and headed downtown I would be met by beggars and homeless individuals looking for enough money to make it through the day. In our current economy, poverty is so widespread that our neighborhood has beggars resting outside our churches and seconds away from our homes. I find this quite frightening especially considering that I live in a suburban type setting where poverty has never so blatantly manifested itself. I feel sympathetic towards these poverty stricken individuals and give them money whenever I have the chance; however I feel that there is much more that can be done for them. My primary objective in taking this course is to discover ways in which I personally can make a difference and reduce poverty not only in our country, but throughout the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment