Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Chloe's Intro

Hey guys! My name is Chloe Hirschowitz. I was born and raised in New York, New York. I have always had an interest in alleviating the struggle of poor countries. I have developed that interest mostly because of my family’s background. My father was born in Namibia and went to school in Namibia and South Africa. I have heard many stories of his work as a doctor for the Namibian government, traveling by camel to overcrowded clinics where TB was the ailment of the majority of his patients. One story that has really stuck with me was of a patient who in the US would have been rushed into surgery, was last in line to be treated because there were so many cases that were even more life-threatening waiting to be seen.
I have also visited Cape Town about a dozen times and the sights are beautiful, but the conditions on the streets are not. I spent the day in my friends school there. The teacher was asking kids about their allowances. They were all about 10 rand a week, which was about $1.50, at the time, and this was in a decent neighborhood. This experience and my dad’s stories have motivated me to take action.

No comments:

Post a Comment